Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The story of the "Hairy Godmother", Part 2

As we continue on our journey thru Cleo's development into the Hairy Godmother we leave the litter of Shirley & Laverne, both found wonderful homes with people who love them and Cleo was a bit bereft. She missed having someone little, to watch over...







But as luck would have it I agreed to foster some bottle baby kittens...4 in fact. It wasn't long before I realized that Cleo was not overly picky when it came to species. If it was little, helpless and a little bit scared of life...it needed her. She took to the kittens quite quickly, tho they took a bit longer to take to her. By the end of their time here tho...all were fast friends.









We came to realize that love, and care, and needing help comes in all sizes and Cleo was more than happy to give all the above to anyone or anything that needed her.

This little fellow was almost eaten by the lawn mower one day....my husband brought it in for me to admire as I simply adore toads. Well apparently I am not alone in that! Cleo was enchanted and tho she DID kiss it...no Prince appeared. A bit puzzled by the odd taste of her little charge, Cleo decided that she could still watch over him...even if he wasn't all that lickable!!










We came full circle in 2009...the year I bred my little bitch Ellie. It was an important litter, one coming on the heels of a traumatic event in Cleo and all our lives...the loss of our 2 oldest bitches, Susie and Nonnie...to coyotes. Cleo took this very hard, and looked for both...for days afterwards. She doubtless smelled and perhaps even heard, far more of the event than I was ever able to piece together...and you could tell it wore on her.

Ellie gave birth...after no little trouble and drama...to 3 puppies. RC, PK, and Manny....






Ellie had troubles...pretty serious ones, upon her recovery...and she needed me a great deal. Her pups also needed me...in the form of bottle feedings every 2-3 hours at first. I was a frazzled mess but I was not without help...of course. Cleo, was my right hand in this difficult time....providing solace and humor, and offering her services as a nursemaid and nanny wherever needed...because that is what Hairy Godmothers, do!


I hope you enjoyed this tale...and that it gives you some insight into why we here at my house consider Cleo a pretty special dog to have in our lives. We are very lucky to have her!




No comments:

Post a Comment